Sunday, March 6, 2011

MySpace--NOT!

I researched MySpace because it was the first social network site that I heard about.
1.What was the target audience for this social networking site?  The target audience for this site started out as a place for bands to connect.  It quickly evolved into a popular site for teens in about 2004.  As I peruse it, I see that it definitely targets teens and young adults with the nature of the entertainers featured on the log in page.
2. How long was the site in existence?  MySpace has been in existence since 2003.
3. Why was it popular? What was its demise?  It is still in existence.  It was popular because music is popular with youth.  Bands wanted to be able to contact fans.  And fans could connect with their favorite bands.  “Friends” were affiliated with common music likes.
4.  Is/was there another competitor in the same market that was more popular?  It would seem that Twitter and Facebook are MySpace’s competitors.
5.  Would you ever consider creating an account and using it?  Explain your reason using a personal experience as an example.  I would not consider creating a “MySpace” account.  “MySpace” seems to still cater to a younger audience.   I am on “Facebook” and have found many long lost pals through it. 
I find myself checking Facebook a couple of times a day and adding another social network for me is not a good idea.  I simply don’t have enough time.  Also, I see that many of my “friends” on Facebook are on there  hourly and posting totally useless stuff which I find annoying sometimes.  Oh well…

No comments:

Post a Comment